Renting a self-storage unit can make a whole lot of sense if you need a safe place to store items of value to you, but there are things you need to keep in mind to ensure you choose the right service provider for your needs.
Whether you want to store your prized high-end sports car, a valuable memorabilia collection or perhaps even some furniture that you can’t fit into your new apartment, you can find a self-storage unit to take a load off of your mind.
It’s important to note that no two self-storage unit providers are the same, so some careful consideration is required. Read on to learn about seven things to look for in a self-storage unit.
- Customer Service: It goes without saying that you ideally want to do business with a company that treats you like a valued customer. So observe how you’re dealt with when you make the initial call to ask about the company’s offerings. That’ll give you an idea as to whether to investigate further.
- Proper Fit: Before signing on the dotted line, you’ll want to ensure that the self-storage unit provider can meet your specific needs. For instance, you will want to go with a provider that provides 24-hour access in the event that you might need to go to the unit during, say, the night hours. Also, you’ll want to find out the storage unit sizes that are available.
- Visible Manager: You should try to do business with a self-storage unit facility where the manager not only is visible, but also is keen on communicating with customers. This sort of hands-on approach will come in useful in the event that you have an issue and want to speak to the person in charge.
- Secure: In this day and age, you can never be too careful. Be sure to select a facility that has ample security measures in place. That means a gate complete with computerized access, proper lighting and operational security cameras. Having a live person on-call around the clock is a bonus.
- Clean: If you happen across a facility that is relatively clean, you can be reasonably certain that whoever operates it takes pride in his or her operations. In the event that the place looks like a landfill, then take your business elsewhere.
- Pest-Free: Unless proper measures are taken, rats, moths, spiders and other creepy crawlies can cause damage to your stuff. So ask what sorts of pest control strategy the facility has in place. A good facility will have regular, ongoing pest control visits by a professional service provider.
- Location, Location, Location: Be sure to select a facility that is within an easy drive from your home. You don’t want to have to take too long to get there by vehicle or by public transportation.
These are some of the important considerations to mull over before you get a self-storage unit. At UltraStor we offer a wide range of options and services to keep your things stored safely and securely. Give us a call today at 289-288-5069 to find out how we can help you.