Photo Credit: Organized Living
Is your garage so cluttered that there’s no room for your car? Have you ever found yourself purchasing an item that you already own because you just can’t find it in the disorganized mess? Check out our ten steps to help you get started on reclaiming your garage.
- Set aside plenty of time. Whether its a full weekend or a whole day, allot enough time to complete the job. Get help from family or friends to make the job easier and quicker.
- Set up zones. i) Trash ii) Action Items for things that were borrowed or need repair iii) Donations
- Organize items into categories. You may find you have repeat items that can be donated or recycled. Place like items together.
- Purge. If you haven’t used it in the last 12 months, get rid of it.
- Buy a strong shelving unit. Your local hardware store such as Home Depot will have plenty of options. Be sure to include clear bins with lids on your shopping list as visible items are easier to find. Ensure you measure the height of the shelves so the bins fit perfectly.
- Use as much vertical and ceiling space as possible. This is particularly important if you plan to park your car in the garage. Getting everything up and off the floor is key.
- Label everything. The extra work is worth it when trying to find items, especially the small stuff like nails and screws.
- Donate. Your main objective is to create space in your garage and keep it organized. Donate to a local charity, friend or neighbour. Places such as Diabetes Association even come to your home for free pick-ups!
- Make some money. Whether through a garage sale or online on sites like Ebay or Kijiji, consider selling your unwanted items to make some cash and recycle goods that could otherwise wind up in a landfill.
- Rent a storage unit. Despite your best efforts, sometimes there simply is not enough space in your garage. Renting a self-storage unit is an easy and less stressful way to store seasonal items and reclaim your valuable space. Give us a call and let us help you get started!